Pages

Emergent Student Readers Set 2

I am so excited because I just uploaded my second set of 
Emergent Student Readers!!
or

This set includes 4 different student readers with sight word flash cards and picture cards to go along with each.  Something new included in this set are the Home Readers I created for the children to take home.  I found that my students really enjoyed reading each Emergent Student Reader and wanted to share their successes with their parents.  I would end up drawing boxes on the bottom for parents to document each time their child read.  Now the Home Readers have the boxes already prepared on the bottom and are ready to be sent home.  I have my students bring it back to me when all of the boxes are filled in for a special treat!

I introduce each Emergent Student Reader by writing the sentences on sentence strips and then place them in a pocket chart, displayed with the picture cards.  We review the sight word flash cards and then the students use a fun pointer to practice concept of word as they point to each word and read the story.  Here is one of my kinderkids reading "The Footprint" which is from my first set of readers:
Because I have different groups reading at different levels, I found that I didn't always have the time to switch out the sentence strips to change to a different reader.  So instead of using the big sentence strips, I cut out the sentences of the reader itself and placed them in a small pocket chart as shown below:
After we read it together, the Emergent Student Reader is then printed out and kept in the students’ own personal folders (the ones with the brads on the inside), along with the flash cards for the students to practice and reread.  


The students love them.  Their folders also become a nice activity if we have an extra minute or two at the end of our group or if I need to work individually with a student for a short amount of time.

If you missed my first set of Emergent Student Readers, click on the picture below:

These activities address the following Common Core Learning Standards:
K.RS.FS.1:   Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print.
K.RS.FS.1a:  Follow words from left to right, top to bottom.
K.RS.FS.1b:  Recognize that spoken words are represented in written language by specific sequence of letters.
K.RS.FS.1c:  Understand that words are separated by spaces in print.
K.RS.FS.3:  Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words
K.RS.FS.3a:  Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
K.RS.FS.3c:  Read common high-frequency words by sight.


Well, it is Wednesday evening and my vacation is halfway over (**big sigh).  It has been such a wonderful mix of visiting with extended family, relaxing, and spending time with my immediate family.  I really thought I would have the time to catch up on my blog hopping, but I haven't been able to do so yet!  But hey, my entire vacation isn't over yet and I still have half of it left!  Woo hoo!!


Stay posted because I have some additional activities I am in the process of finishing up and uploading.  I also have some great giveaways coming up once I get back into the classroom!  I have two different pieces of technology and a membership to a great site to give away!